Listen to the Pgh Dreamer’s Pod: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/meghan-greenwood/episodes/5-Ways-to-Survive-the-Holidays-e2cpqi8
Stress is inevitable at this time of year. Between the pressure of gift-giving and magical traditions and of course, the family obligations, some of us would rather bury our head than deal with December. Here are 5 ways to survive the holidays:
- Say ‘no’. It is ok to decline a party invitation or holiday meet-up. Make up an excuse if you must, but if these events are extra weight, they’re unnecessary.
- Limit your shopping. Set expectations with those you buy for (and they can do the same for you). Perhaps you restrict gifts to a $20 limit or gift cards only this year.
- Don’t let comparisons ruin your mood. You’ll likely see a wealth of extravagant photos on social media showcasing what seems like the perfect holiday. While comparisons are inherent, make sure you don’t overanalyze your own situation.
- Allow yourself some indulgences. With great food and drink aplenty, it’s ok to partake. If you are worried about overdoing it, give yourself healthy boundaries, such as a 2-drink or a 5-cookie maximum.
- Do something to make YOU happy. The giving season also applies to yourself. Take this opportunity to do something nice just for you.